I’ve decided to tackle a few more technical features before I start adding more content to the game. Once those features are in, I’ll have a better sense of the technical requirements of the art I need to build for the game – which, hopefully, translates to less rework of the art later.

After tackling visibility culling last week, I’ve now completely replaced the anti-aliasing implementation in Privacy. Previously, my engine used super-sampling to combat jaggies, with mixed results. In particular, the super-sampling solution failed to address the stair stepping on very long straight edges – of which there are a ton in Privacy.

My new approach is a form of temporal anti-aliasing, similar to the technique used in Unreal Engine 4 and Inside. As you can see in the image below, the new anti-aliasing really helps to improve the image.

Image illustrating the difference between anti-aliasing off (top) and anti-aliasing off (bottom) in Privacy

In the cutouts below, you can really see what a difference the temporal anti-aliasing makes. I am really pleased with these results, because the many straight lines in this scene are looking much, much better – meaning I can keep on building my minimalist architecture and furniture in the way I have been doing thus far.

There is a little more work left to do before the anti-aliasing is final. In particular, I still need to implement re-projection to (further) reduce ghosting artifacts that happen when the camera is moving. Once that is in, my next task will be to refine my shadow mapping. Until next time!